The protection of privacy in relation to personal data is the concern of every memberof staff in the Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK). We respect personal dataprivacy and are committed to fully implementing and complying with the data protection principles and all relevant provisions under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the Ordinance) and codes of practice issued by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data (PCPD).
The Departmental Secretary of RTHK monitors and supervises compliance with the Ordinance and relevant codes of practice issued by PCPD within RTHK.
When we collect personal data from individuals, we will provide them with a Personal Information Collection Statement on or before the collection in an appropriate format and manner, e.g. in the same paper form or web page that collects the personal data.
Kinds of Personal Data Held
Four broad categories of personal data are held in RTHK. They are personal data contained in:
Employment-related Records, which include job applications and RTHK staff personal details, education and qualifications, employment history, salary and allowances, terms and conditions of service, housing benefits, medical records, leave and passages, training, investments, outside employment, performance appraisals, recruitment and promotion board assessments, conduct and discipline, and retirement and pension, etc.
Programme-related Records, which include records relating to the production, promotion and commissioning of television and radio programmes such as personal particulars of artists and persons relating to the performing arts and media circles, news contacts, audience/listeners, freelance workers, media and press connections, etc.
Other Records, which include records relating to the award of contracts, complaints and enquiries, appointments to the RTHK Board of Advisors and Programme Advisory Panel, etc.
Records Collected on Webservers, which include personal particulars and email addresses (whereas they constitute personal data under specific circumstances that the addresses can be used to identify an individual) collected for membership and newsletter subscription, online polling, online games, registration for public briefing, etc.
Main Purposes of Keeping Personal Data
Personal data held in:
Employment-related Records are kept for a range of purposes including appointments, integrity checking, postings and transfers, offer/renewal/extension of agreement, incremental credit, training and career development, revision of terms or conditions of service, promotion, discipline, continuation in or removal from office, pensions, retirement benefits and provision of testimonials, etc.
Programme-related Records are kept for the purposes of production, promotion and commissioning of television and radio programmes.
Other Records are kept for various purposes which vary according to the nature of the record, such as acquisition of goods and services, responding to and taking follow-up action on complaints and enquiries, making appointments to advisory board and panel, etc.
Records Collected on Webservers are kept for various purposes which vary according to the nature of the record, such as sending newsletters to subscribers, screening for preventing repeated voting, contacting participants of online games and public briefing, etc.
RTHK engages local third-party service providers to maintain some of our IT systems and websites. All RTHK service providers are bound by contractual duty to keep confidential any data they come into contact with against unauthorized access, use and retention.
RTHK takes appropriate steps to protect the personal data we hold against loss, unauthorized access, use, modification or disclosure.
RTHK maintains and executes retention policies of records containing personal data to ensure personal data is not kept longer than is necessary for the fulfilment of the purpose for which the data is or is to be used. Different retention periods apply to the various kinds of personal data collected and held by RTHK.
Disclosure of Personal Data
Unless for the purpose it is collected, or permitted or required by law, RTHK will not disclose personal data to third parties without the consent of the individual concerned.
Data Access and Correction
Data access request may be made by completing the Data Access Request Form (Form OPS003) which is obtainable from the Personnel Registry on 2/F, Broadcasting House, 30 Broadcast Drive, Kowloon or on the Office of the PCPD's website. Data correction request may be made in writing with all the supporting documentation to show that the data concerned are inaccurate and how the data should be corrected. The data access or correction request should be addressed to the Data Protection Officer by fax (2338 0279), by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person or by mail to:
Radio Television Hong Kong
2/F, Broadcasting House
30 Broadcast Drive
When handling a data access or correction request, RTHK will check the identity of the requester to ensure that he/she is the person legally entitled to make the data access or correction request. A fee is chargeable by RTHK for complying with a data access request. A Data Protection Log Book is maintained as required under section 27 of the Ordinance.
Personal Information Collection on RTHK ON INTERNET
- Every time when you log into rthk.hk, our network servers will automatically verify your domain name and IP address. rthk.hk will use the data for statistical and data analysis. rthk.hk will however not record any personal identifiable information from you if you are just visiting our website.
- rthk.hk collects personal information from you if you wish to be registered as myrthk user or if you wish to participate in our online activities. The personal information may include your name, email address and other information where appropriate.
- Provision of the personal information is voluntary but failure to provide the information may result in us being unable to provide the services you request.
- The personal information will only be used for the purpose it is collected and will be handled by our staff or persons authorized to handle it for the purpose.
- Unless permitted or required by law, rthk.hk will not disclose your personal information to any third parties without your prior consent.
- rthk.hk reserves the right to use the personal information you provided for statistical and data analysis, and the right to use and publish the results thus generated.Should the outcome of any such statistical and data analysis be published, it will not be made available in a form that identifies any of the data subjects.
- When you go through links in rthk.hk to non-RTHK websites, such act would mean that you have already left rthk.hk. Since these sites are not under the direct control of rthk.hk, we are not liable to or responsible for any security and data protection issues arising from any personal information you provided to these sites.
- rthk.hk reserves the right to verify the accuracy of any personal information you submitted.
- Every registered user of our online applications, such as myrthk, has his or her private password, and our system allows restricted access to the personal information using the authorized login only.
- rthk.hkwill protect all personal information in our system, but will not guarantee that the transmission of data is absolutely secured. If you discover any of your personal data being disclosed to a third party, please contact us immediately.
- You should not reveal your password to any third parties.rthk.hk is only responsible for protecting the passwords within our system. You should avoid saving your password in the computer hard disk, and you must close the browser window immediately after you have logged out, in order to prevent others from accessing your personal information.
- rthk.hk uses SSL protocol to encrypt personal data during network transmission to protect your personal information.
- For correction of personal information you have provided to us through online submission, you may login to the systems with your own authorized password, or contact email@example.com
- For ease of providing online customization features to you, rthk.hk online applications, such as myrthk, will store your pre-defined settings for your future access to the service.
- If you do not want to accept the 'cookies', you can change your browser's setting, but such act may affect your using some of the services at rthk.hk.
We will do our best to make sure that your privacy is under strict protection. However, given the nature of the Internet, no data transmission over it can be guaranteed to be absolutely secure.